Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Rethinking Homework Reflection

Well, I guess I'm not very good at doing my homework.  LOL.  My blog is a bit late, but here we go.

Reading this book didn't really change my views on homework.  I think it is necessary.  I also think that in needs to be practice for what they are learning in the classroom.  They should not be learning anything new on their own.  It also shouldn't be given as busy work.

When we started this book, I called a friend of mine in Virginia who has an eighth grader.  When I mentioned the idea of teachers not assigning homework, she was completely appalled.   She went on a tirade about it.  I hadn't heard her be so passionate about something like this in a long time.  She make some excellent points about why homework was important.  It did make me consider economics though.  We were both raised in well-educated, high-income households.  When we had jobs in high school, they were for fun money.  Our parents communicated with our teachers.  We also were held to very high expectations.  We were expected to do well in school, do our homework, and go to college.  If my homework was not done, I couldn't do ANYTHING.  No TV, no going out, no computer, no phone, nothing.  I did my homework at the dining room table in view of my mother.  She could make sure I did my homework because she was a teacher and had the same hours as I did.  If she wasn't there, my older sisters were expected to make sure it was complete.  It would have been very different if my parents didn't have those high expectations and/or were not at home in the evenings.


My Classroom:

I don't give my students homework very often.  Art is a bit different.  I know many art teachers that assign weekly sketchbook assignments.  I feel that the sketchbook assignments are often busy work.  At the beginning of the semester, the teacher hands them a list of options they can choose from each week.  Many, using skills the students have not been introduced to.  Most students wait until the night (or morning) before they are due.  Then, only spend 10 minutes on it or just don't hand it in.

In my first year of teaching, I did just that because that was "the norm."  The students hated it and I hated giving grades for sloppy work, or having to chase them down for the assignment.  I also saw students' grades suffer.  They did great with in-class assignments, but never completed homework.  How is that fair?

Some art teachers have students work on projects at home.  I have never done this.  Here are a few reasons why:

1.  I may NEVER see the projects again.
2.  They often forget the project at home.  Now, what do they work on in class?
3.  They don't have the supplies necessary to complete the project at home.
4.  When they get stuck, I'm not there to help.

I think the most important reason is #4.  I am here to guide them through the process of creating art.  When they get stuck, I want to be there to help.  I don't want them becoming frustrated or angry.  That doesn't help their "creative juices" to flow.  I also want to SEE their journey through their piece.  I know that sounds kind of corny.  It's just, that's one way I assess how they are developing as an artist.  If a student is falling behind, I try to have them come in after school.

Don't get me wrong.  Many times students have asked to take supplies home with them and work on an assignment.  Typically, those students have highly developed skills or have a very small amount left for the project.

The only times students have homework for me are when they need to study for a test and a few papers.  Even then, we often review during class, and I give them time to work on most of their paper during class.

Do I think all teachers shouldn't give homework?  HECK NO!  I just think that they need to reflect on if it is relevant and make sure that it is practice.  Just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment